Nothing is to be taken from this blog without the written permission of this blog's owner.

Saturday, November 28, 2009

Scary Morning at the ER

As I said in my previous post, we were out pretty late for MawMaw's birthday. After we left MawMaw's to come home, Kaitlynn started swallowing hard, choking and gagging in the car. It lasted about a minute, then was fine. She fell asleep in the car shortly after that. We got home, put her to bed and she slept for about an hour. She woke up screaming and crying, swallowing hard, gagging, choking and seemed to be having a hard time breathing. We weren't really sure about the breathing thing, her color was fine, and she was crying, so she had to be breathing OK, right? It was just so scary. We called the pediatrician's exchange and a nurse called us back immediately. She heard Kaitlynn over the phone and said she sounded like she was very uncomfortable and we needed to bring her in for a chest x-ray. Her concern was she might have swallowed something that she wasn't supposed to. We got to the ER and were put in a room pretty quickly. A nurse checked her out and she seemed to be doing better. She said they were very busy and it would take awhile for a doctor to come in. Thankfully they had movies to keep her busy. We watched "Cinderella". We waited a little over an hour before the doctor was able to see us. At this point, Kaitlynn was ready to go home. The doctor checked her out and ordered a chest x-ray. Thankfully no foreign bodies were found in the x-ray, but they suspected that she had croup. The doctor said the x-ray wasn't the most clear cut case of croup she'd ever seen, but all of Kaitlynn's symptoms really seemed to point to croup. They gave her a dose of steroids and Motrin and gave us information on croup and what to look for, etc. The doctor said she was concerned that it might turn into pneumonia because every time we asked Kaitlynn where she hurt, she would pointing to her lower back and tell us her back hurt. We are confused as to how she got croup, but thankful that it wasn't anything more serious.

Here is a video I took while waiting for the doctor. Kaitlynn was annoyed with me asking her questions because she was watching "Cinderella." I think she did great at the ER, especially on so little sleep and to not be feeling well. What a trooper!

Kaitlynn's pediatrician called that afternoon to check on her. When I called back, I actually got to talk to her pediatrician. It was reassuring to talk to her. She said croup could last up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment