Nothing is to be taken from this blog without the written permission of this blog's owner.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

2nd Week of Preschool

Tuesday, August 24th I watched Max. Kaitlynn started her 2nd week of preschool. After getting ready for school (bathed and dressed), we packed her snack in her lunch box (cheez-its and a banana) and headed to preschool. As soon as we walked into her classroom, Miss Ellie asked about Max and Kaitlynn said "He is not my brother!" I explained that we were borrowing him! It was funny and shocking to me that she was so adamant about him not being her brother. Normally the kids I babysit, she calls her brother / sister.

When I picked Kaitlynn up from school, we checked her mail box which included her daily schedule and artwork / school papers from the day. They read "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?", painted with watercolors, retold the story at the magnet board, went outside to play on the playground and in music sang "So Happy You Are Here."

As soon as we got in the car, Kaitlynn asked if I could buy her some Fruit by the Foot. I said sure. What is it? I asked my friends on Facebook and got some immediate responses. It apparently is like fruit roll ups. We have been avoiding fruit snacks and stuff like that because of the dental surgery she had to have in May. Plus her pediatric dentist said that fruit snacks are not good and we should try to avoid them. Kaitlynn ended up getting her Fruit By the Foot! Dave brought a box home for her. We decided that they would only be for special treats. She isn't taking them for snack at school, that's for sure! We try to pack healthier choices for preschool snack.

That evening we watched "Alice in Wonderland". It was better than I thought it would be. I'm not a big fan of Johnny Depp. Kaitlynn actually watched it with us and liked it. We need to get the cartoon version for her, since she has never seen it before. She is really into Alice from Alice in Wonderland right now. I think it has to do with the McDonald's toys in the kid's meals. The girls toys are Madame Alexander dolls. Kaitlynn got Alice the last time we were at McDonald's. After Kaitlynn went to bed, Dave and I watched the movie "Brothers" and thought it was pretty good. It didn't take the exact twist that I thought it was going to take from seeing the previews.

Wednesday the 25th, I watched Max. Kaitlynn got ready for school (bathed and dressed) and we packed her snack (string cheese and raisins) in her lunch box. As I was leaving Kaitlynn's classroom, I overhead Miss Maureen and Shea's mom talking. It sounded like he was going to be moving to the AM class starting the week of the 30th. Oh no! They are best school friends.

While Kaitlynn was in school, I went to MawMaw's. We went to Target and then to pick Kaitlynn up from school. We arrived at her school early and saw them on the playground. It was so cute seeing her running around, playing with her class. She is such a big girl! I had to choke the tears back because it was just so sweet! It just melted my heart to see her holding hands with Shea when the class was walking back into school. I love my girl so much!

Kaitlynn was excited for MawMaw to pick her up from school! She yelled "Grandma" and ran and gave her a big hug. Of course, I had to get a big hug first. I am the mommy! Kaitlynn checked her mail box. The daily schedule said they reread "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?", made their own version of the story to read at home, made sand castles with wet sand, went outside to play on the playground and sang "Goin' On A Bear Hunt."

In the car, Kaitlynn told me that Shea brought popcorn to school for snack and he wanted to share with her, but the teachers wouldn't let him. I told her that she could take popcorn for a snack. Kaitlynn told me I'm a genius. What a smart girl! Guess what her snack was on Thursday?

Thursday, I watched Max. Kaitlynn took a bath and got dressed for school and then we packed her snack (popcorn and an apple) in her lunch box. On the way to preschool, Kaitlynn fell asleep in the car. She woke up at 6AM that morning and didn't fall back to sleep. She normally doesn't get up until between 8-9AM. I carried her from the car into the school building, half awake. I asked her if she wanted to play at the train tables and she said no. She saw Shea waving to her, so she waved back. I asked if she wanted to go play with him, she said she needed to wash her hands first. We told Shea we would be back. After Kaitlynn washed her hands, her classroom door opened and Miss Maureen told Kaitlynn to come on in. Kaitlynn got upset because she wanted to go back to the train tables. I told her we could play with them after school, but right now the train tables were closed to kids in school. She recovered well and I explained to Miss Maureen that she woke up unusually early.

While I was waiting for Kaitlynn to get out of school, I talked to Shea's grandmother in the hallway. She said that Shea reaaally likes Kaitlynn. He said that she is really cute. Then, the next day said she was "Hot!" She was telling me that he said Kaitlynn is his girlfriend. He told her that him and Kaitlynn were holding hands and went into a tunnel and he kissed her on the cheek. I told her about seeing them holding hands on Wednesday when they were coming inside from the playground. We talked about him moving to the morning class because his baby brother is taking morning classes. She said she was worried about how Shea would feel about moving to a different classroom than Kaitlynn. I made sure before we left the school building that Kaitlynn knew that Shea was not going to be in her class anymore. She said she didn't like that. Shea's grandma and I told them that they could still see each other. We could set up some playdates or something. They seemed OK with that.

Kaitlynn's daily schedule said they made their own versions of the Brown Bear story, practiced identifying letters while playing with toys in the class, played a color matching game, played outside on the playground and danced to "The Freeze".

I asked Kaitlynn (once we got in the car) if Shea was her boyfriend. First she said yes, then she said no, he was just her best friend. I told her that they could still play together and keep in contact. She was happy about that.

‎I can't believe, 2nd week of preschool and she has a boyfriend! I don't know how I feel exactly about her being called "hot". I guess its kind of flattering and cute! On Facebook when I updated my status about Kaitlynn being called "hot", I was reminded by my 1st boyfriend's mother that I was around that age when her son thought that about me. Like mother like daughter, I guess!!! Now I want to dig out that old picture of me and her son when we were about Kaitlynn's age. Memories! Innocence!

We went to the dance studio for registration to meet Mrs. B (the dance studio owner, get a tour and sign up for classes). While there Kaitlynn met 2 other girls who take dance there. She also got her photos taken. They had this really neat Party Pix Booth that was set up to take 3 different pictures and print out immediately. Kaitlynn got in the booth twice. Each time unsure of the camera pointing at her. In the 2nd set of pictures, the photographer told her to look at the camera, that's why her face is up in the air.

Kaitlynn was super excited for dance to start! She loved the mirrors and then when she saw the recital video, she was in love. She couldn't wait to start. She asked if she could start that day. She didn't want to leave. I am so excited for her. I never did dance, so this is a new adventure for me , as well.

Kaitlynn was so excited to tell MawMaw and Dave about dance class. We decided to go to MawMaw's for a visit. We were stuck in traffic on the highway due to a car accident. It took us 1 1/2 hours to get to MawMaw's when it normally only takes 20 minutes! Ugh!

We went to Kaitlynn's favorite place for dinner, Gingham's, and then went to Walgreens.
at Walgreens waiting for MawMaw's medicine.

We are looking for recommendations on a convertible car seat, not the booster style seat. We are wanting to get Kaitlynn a new convertible car seat because we have not liked the one she has since we started using it 2 1/2 years ago. I did so much research on car seats before Kaitlynn was born. This car seat was rated really high and it sucks! So now I am looking for recommendations. I also did some quick research online and Britax seemed to be ranked the safest and best. Anyone own a Britax? What do you think about it? I really want the safest for her, not just the one that is most convenient or best looking. Babies R Us is having a Great Trade-In Event, so we figured this would be a good time to purchase a new car seat.

1 comment:

  1. I know you said you don't want a booster but we have a high back booster with a five point harness and we LOVE it. It's the Graco Nautilus and it has super safety ratings. It goes in five point harness up to 65 pounds, then belt positioning high back (or take the back off) booster to 100 pounds. So it is the last carseat you would ever buy Bailey really likes it and seems really comfortable. It has the option to recline it just a little bit. We got one for the van and she loved it so much my mom bought her one for her car too. It is $139 at Walmart and comes in black/gray or pink.

    ReplyDelete