Nothing is to be taken from this blog without the written permission of this blog's owner.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Announcement!

Saturday, December 18th, we made an announcement to my family.

And I am finally making the announcement to you....



We are expecting!

We actually found out we were expecting the Saturday after Thanksgiving, November 27th. I took the test that morning and instead of waiting for the results went back to bed. Dave went in to check the results and said I might want to go look at the test. I thought he was being silly. He said there are two lines.
I went in and looked and was very excited to see 2 lines. That explained my sickness (nausea) that week! I had also been having heartburn. At that point, I was 4 weeks and 1 day pregnant. I called the doctor's office Monday the 29th and they had me go in for blood work. They called me back later that day and said my HCG was strong, as well as progesterone. Tuesday the 30th and Wednesday, November 1st, I felt some fluttering. I had to go back for blood work again on the 1st. My HCG and progesterone were still good. They wanted to track my HCG because in July we had a miscarriage. It was an early miscarriage, probably around 4 weeks. Since things looked good, they said to call and schedule the first ultrasound for 2 weeks.
Of course, I immediately added the new baby to my BabyCenter account to read the updates on development. According to the 4 week update: "marks the beginning of the embryonic period. The baby is an embryo the size of a poppy seed, consisting of two layers: the epiblast and the hypoblast, from which all of the organs and body parts will develop. Present now are the amniotic sac, which will house your baby; the amniotic fluid, which will cushion him/her as he/she grows; and the yolk sac, which produces your baby's red blood cells and helps deliver nutrients to him/her until the placenta has developed and is ready to take over this duty."

Wednesday, the 2nd, I made my first Etsy purchase. It was for this adorable shirt for Kaitlynn!
I couldn't believe how quick we received it. And I couldn't wait for Kaitlynn to wear it! I read the 5 week BabyCenter update when I turned 5 weeks on December 3rd: "At this point, the baby's about the size of a sesame seed, and he/she looks more like a tiny tadpole than a human. The baby's now made up of three layers — the ectoderm, the mesoderm, and the endoderm — which will later form all of his/her organs and tissues. The primitive placenta and umbilical cord, which deliver nourishment and oxygen to your baby, are already on the job."

December 8th, I had to get blood work done, in which the results were good. I read the 6 week BabyCenter update on the 10th: "This week's major developments: the nose, mouth, and ears are beginning to take shape. If you could see into your uterus, you'd find an oversize head and dark spots where your baby's eyes and nostrils are starting to form. His/her emerging ears are marked by small depressions on the sides of the head, and his/her arms and legs by protruding buds. His/her heart is beating about 100 to 160 times a minute — almost twice as fast as yours — and blood is beginning to course through his/her body. His/her intestines are developing, and the bud of tissue that will give rise to his/her lungs has appeared. His/her pituitary gland is forming, as are the rest of his/her brain, muscles, and bones. Right now, your baby is a quarter of an inch long, about the size of a lentil."

We had our first ultrasound and appointment with the doctor on Wednesday, December 15th. I was 6 weeks and 5 days. We had the ultrasound first. The baby's heartbeat was 122. It was so awesome to see and hear the heartbeat on the ultrasound screen! Dave and I recognized the baby on the ultrasound immediately and could see the yolk sac as well. We saw the nurse and then the doctor after the ultrasound. They said I had a lot of follicles / cysts on my ovaries, which can be common in the first trimester. For this, they wanted me to take it easy. The doctor said that the baby measured right on track and that the measurements of the yolk sac and length of the baby indicated no chromosomal abnormalities. I had to go for more blood work at the end of the appointment.
First tummy photo at 6 weeks and 6 days.
I read the 7 week BabyCenter update: "Hands and feet are emerging from developing arms and legs — although they look more like paddles at this point. Technically, your baby is still considered an embryo and has something of a small tail, which is an extension of his/her tailbone. The tail will disappear within a few weeks, but that's the only thing getting smaller. Your baby has doubled in size since last week and now measures half an inch long, about the size of a blueberry. If you could see inside your womb, you'd spot eyelid folds partially covering his/her peepers, which already have some color, as well as the tip of his/her nose and tiny veins beneath parchment-thin skin. Both hemispheres of your baby's brain are growing, and his/her liver is churning out red blood cells until his/her bone marrow forms and takes over this role. The baby also has an appendix and a pancreas. A loop in your baby's growing intestines is bulging into his/her umbilical cord, which now has distinct blood vessels to carry oxygen and nutrients to and from his/her tiny body."

No comments:

Post a Comment